A B C D E F G H I K L M N O P Q R S T U W
Lambton (County Durham)
The village of Lambton lies just to the east of Chester-le-Street close to the A19. The village of Lambton was first recorded in 1421. The name comes from the Old English words for ‘the farm where the lambs are kept’….
Langdon Beck (County Durham)
The hamlet of Langdon Beck lies high up Teesdale on the main road between Middleton-in-Teesdale and Alston….
Lartington (County Durham)
Lartington is a cosy little village about 3 miles from Barnard Castle. It shelters behind a wood to its north. The B6277 skirts the southern boundary of Lartington Park and the Hall which was built during the reign of Charles I….
The civil parish of Lesbury lies in eastern Northumberland, on the North Sea coast just north-west of Alnmouth, in the direction of Alnwick….
Little Lumley (County Durham)
Woodstone Village forms the western arm of Fence Houses which itself is a village that is now just outside of County Durham. Both settlements would once have been inside the historic county of Durham but Fence Houses is now officially part of Tyne & Wear whilst Woodstone Village remains in Durham in the parish of Little Lumley….
Little Stainton (County Durham)
The small village of Little Stainton lies to the north-east of Darlington and about seven miles west of Stockton. For much of its history it was part of the parish of Bishopston. This means that it did not have its own parish church and instead the inhabitants would have journeyed to Bishopston to attend religious services. In the medieval period (1066 to 1540) Little Stainton was larger than it is now. The sites of some of the buildings can still be seen as earthworks. Although, the remains are excellent, some were destroyed in 1991-2. Archaeologists recorded some medieval pottery on the site after the ploughing. In the area around Manor Farm a number of fragments of 10th and 11th century pottery have also been discovered. These suggest that the village probably had an Anglo-Saxon origin; a possibility also reflected in its name: ‘Stainton’ means ‘stoney farm’ in Old English….
The civil parish of Longframlington lies in eastern Northumberland, on the River Coquet, east of the Simonside Hills….
The civil parish of Longhirst lies in south-east Northumberland, approximately 3km north-east of Morpeth, the county town. The parish was formed in 1875. Before this, it was part of the parish of Bothal….
The civil parish of Longhorsley lies in rural south-east Northumberland, approximately five miles north-west of Morpeth, the county town of Northumberland….
Longhoughton parish lies on the mid-Northumberland coast. There are a wide range of important archaeological and historic sites here ranging from Mesolithic settlement to the gardens of Howick Hall….
Low Dinsdale (County Durham)
Low Dinsdale is a small village lying in a bend of the River Tees. The village of Over Dinsdale lies just across the river and is joined with Low Dinsdale by a bridge.The town of Darlington is about five miles to the north-west. Although its population is almost exclusively rural, and it appears secluded at the present time, it possesses considerable historical interest….
Lowick parish lies in north Northumberland, west of the Kyloe Hills…
Lunedale (County Durham)
Lunedale is the rough east-west valley through which the river Lune runs eastwards towards Teesdale, where it joins the Tees. It is a remote upland area with no big villages. The River Balder joins the Tees nearby. The River Lune and River Balder, form a kind of `miniature lake district’ in their upper valleys, comprised of the Selset, Grassholme, Balderhead, Blackton and Hury reservoirs. Baldersdale is divided from Lunedale by the moors of Hunderthwaite and Romaldkirk,….
The parish of Lynemouth lies in south-east Northumberland, on the North Sea coast. It is one of the smallest parishes in the County and until 1926 there was only a farm and cottage here. The parish is probably best known for its industrial history associated with coal mining…