Wheelbirks Furnace (Broomley and Stocksfield) - Source of Reference
The information on this website is based on a range of published and unpublished works. Below is a list of the source of information used in writing this record.
(1) Ordnance Survey Map 25 inch 1962
(2) Hodgson, J.C., 1902. A History of Northumberland, Volume 6 (Newcastle upon Tyne), 161-2.
(3) Field Investigators Comments F1 EG 31-MAY-1956
(4) Field Investigators Comments F2 FAH 20-AUG-1956
(5) Field Investigators Comments F3 JCD 09-MAR-1961
(6) Field Investigators Comments F4 RWE 16-FEB-1966
(7) Scheduled monument notification DOE (IAM) AMs Eng (SAM Northum 643)
(8) List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest DOE (HHR) District of Tynedale: Broomley and Stocksfield 18-Jun-1986 (60)
(9) Journal of the Historical Metallurgy Society, 1982.16/2, 74.
(10) Journal of the Historical Metallurgy Society, 1983. 17/2, 120.
(10a) Richardson, D., 1904-7. Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland Durham Newcastle new series 1 2, 283-7
(10b) D Richardson's unpublished diary
(11) English Heritage Monuments Protection Programme Industrial Monuments Assessment, Iron and Steel Industry Step 3 Site Assessment
(12) This record includes National Record of the Historic Environment Information provided by Historic England on 4 January 2021 licensed under the Open Government Licence [http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3/]
(12a) English Heritage, 1995. County list of Scheduled Monuments: March 1994, Northumberland, 33
(12b) Lindsley, S.M., 1981-2. Industrial Archaeological Review VI No 1, 69-72