Settlement (Ingram)
Area NT 983178. Remains of what must once have been quite a substantial settlement; various parts being described on 1st edition 6 inch as 'Earthworks' (NT 9852 1778), 'Old Walls' (NT 9853 1759), 'Old Walls (track of)' (NT 9840 1758) and 'Tumulus' (NT 9860 1761), the last being merely a building steading and foundations. There are other remains, unnoticed in the 6 inch, in a line from NT 97931761 to NT 98221779, and there were no doubt others still.
The main concentration, 'Old Walls' (NT 9853 1759), comprises 15 rectangular steadings and garths marked by turf-covered wall footings. The whole is set in, and clearly associated with, a widespread pattern of medieval or later cultivation terraces, rig and furrow, fragmentary field walls and stone clearance heaps. Probably a deserted medieval (or even later) village and apparently of some consquence, though not noted in the manorial histories of Ingram (NCH Vol 14).
Part correctly published in OS 6 inch 1957; part resurveyed at 6 inch, with sketch survey at 25 inch. (1)
No change to report of 11.11.69. Surveyed at 1:10,000. (2)
Hartside was a dependent hamlet of Ingram manor; held by Gilbert de Umfraville in 1284. In 1340 ten messuages, a mill, 100 acres of arable and 10 acres of meadow sold to John Heron.
Little known of Hartside in later medieval period. Shown on 1579 Saxton's map, on the north side of a southward curve of the River Breamish. Belonged to the Collingwood's in early 17th century.
Cluster of stone houses and garths at NT 986176 with extensive ridge and furrow to the south. The houses measure c.12m-15m by 4m-5m with garths c.17m wide by 25m long. Possible corn drying kiln at east end of village. Ridge and furrow delimited by a bank on the north edge. Some rig very broad (12m-14m). Possible post-medieval structures to the north at NT 986 176. (3)
Settlement visible on infra-red imagery. (4)
This record pertains to the concentration of buildings centred at NT 985 176, identified as Hartside medieval village, together with an associated field system. The deserted medieval village, situated at about 275 m OD, on a gentle SE-facing slope, comprises the turf and bracken-covered footings of 13 buildings with associated garths [NT 9817/28-40], and a corn-drying kiln [NT 9817/41]. The greater part of the village is a close, homogeneous linear group occupying the northern extremity of an extensive area of ridge and furrow [NT 9817/42-49] which is partially enclosed by a head dyke on the W and NW, and defined by a stream on its E side. The S boundary of the ridge and furrow connected specifically with Hartside village is indeterminate; rig extends S to Greensidehill Burn, but this may be related to the medieval village [NT 9916/1-11] at the confluence of Greensidehill Burn and Knock Burn. Within the area of sheet NT 9817 the ridge and furrow occupies 25 hectares (61.8 acres). The village lies within the head dyke [NT 9817/50-51] described above with the exception of house and garth [NT 9817/40], which is distinctly separate and some 30 m W of the main group and about 20 m NW of the head dyke. The houses are constructed of stone and faced at ground level with boulders inside and out, but the collapse of the walls and subsequent overgrowth of turf and bracken has reduced them to banks on average 0.4 m high and spread to between 1.2 m and 1.6 m wide. Their internal dimensions are as follows:
NT 9817/28 measures 11.0 m by 3.9 m and is divided into three compartments. There are opposing entrances through the N and S side walls into the central room and internal passages from the central to each side-room.
House NT 9817/29 is 12.6 m by 3.7 m with one large room and small W ante-chamber. A number of inner and outer facing stones are exposed indicating a wall width of about 1.0 m at ground level; the wall
incorporates a large boulder 0.8 m high.
No NT 9817/30 is somewhat complicated and at least of two phases. It comprises a rectangular building apparently with rounded ends, 8.0 m by 3.7 m, which overlays one or possibly two earlier buildings. No entrance can be identified but at the logical position in the S wall there is a pile of stones. Of the earlier building(s), each is entered through the S wall, and the eastern example appears to have had at least two rooms.
House NT 9817/31 is in poor condition with few building stones visible; it measures 12.6 m by 3.8 m and consists of a single room with a small W ante-chamber. Much of the W end of the S wall is vague and no entrance can be identified.
NT 9817/32 , also in a poor state of preservation, is 9.0 m long by 3.6 m; no entrance can be seen.
NT 9817/33 is a single-roomed building with a rounded N end-wall and measures 11.4 m by 3.8 m. The E wall is barely visible but there is a clear entrance through the W wall.
House NT 9817/34 comprises two rooms with an interconnecting passage, the larger eastern ompartment being entered through the S wall. The E part is further subdivided by a rectangular chamber, a feature of uncertain purpose unique in this village. The house measures 22.5 m
by 3.7 m.
NT 9817/35 is a single-roomed building with a S entrance measuring 8.1 m by 3.7 m. Both wall faces are visible intermittently giving a wall width of 1.0 m-1.1 m at ground level.
NT 9817/36 and 37 are similar in their construction being more massively and better built than the other houses in the village. The corners are distinctly square where visible, and where the boulder facings up to 0.55 m high are exposed they appear straight and true. 36 is 12.0 m by 4.6 m with three interconnected rooms, the most easterly being entered through the S wall. 37 is 19.0 m by 3.9 m, single-roomed and with a S entrance.
House NT 9817/38 comprises a single room, 11.3 m by 3.9 m with a S entrance. the E and W end walls are spread to a thickness of 2.5 m.
NT 9817/39 measures 13.0 m by 3.2 m with both E and W end walls rounded. It is single-roomed with a S entrance. The N wall is higher and more stony than the S, and it seems possible that the head
dyke [NT 9815/51] which runs to this house overlies the N wall.
NT 9817/40, the more isolated example N of the head-dyke [NT 9817/50] measures 17.4 m by 3.6. It contains two rooms; there are gaps, probably entrances, into each of the rooms from the NW side giving access into the adjoining enclosure, and a further gap into the larger E chamber from the SE, but the better preserved and most obvious entrance is through the NE end wall. The adjoining enclosure
to the NW is curvilinear rather than rectilinear and measures 58.0 m NE-SW by 46.0 m transversely.
The corn-drying kiln [NT 9817/41] at the eastern edge of the village abuts the head-dyke [NT 9817/51]. The kiln itself is 0.6 m deep but somewhat silted; where it is exposed it measures 2.6 m in diameter.
The position of the stoke hole can be identified as a lowering in the kiln wall on the W side leading into a square annexe 2.4 m across with a S entrance. The disposition of these houses suggests that a village street extended from the vicinity of the kiln SW to pass NW of NT 9817/31 and SE of NT 9817/29; all dwellings except 31 being to the N of this conjectured street. Immediately S of house NT 9817/38 is a modern sheep-fold which overlies an oval structure (see NT 9817/52). The head-dykes [NT 9817/50 and 51] are similar, being turf and bracken-covered banks spread to 2.0 m wide and 0.6 m maximum height, and contain numerous large boulders in their fabric. Where the former runs alongside a drain its profile has been accentuated by the addition of spoil from the recutting of the drain. The ridge and furrow occupies a greater part of the usable land within the area bounded by the head-dykes, the only major exception being the rig centred NT 984171 where there is evidence of earlier, probably prehistoric land use (see NT 9817/65). The medieval field system takes the form of blocks of broad rig generally demarcated by natural barriers such as old stream beds. The rig is curvilinear from about 5 m to 12 m wide. Some clearance of stone has occurred within it, either linear clearance into the furrows or stone heaps up to 5.0 m in diameter and 0.5 m high, scattered through the system. (However, some of these clearance cairns may be prehistoric in origin.) To the S of broad rig area NT 9817/43 is a field bank of stones, 1.5 m wide and 0.3 m high.
The exception to the general rule of broad ridge-and-furrow is a block of later narrow rig [NT 9817/46] occupying 3 hectares of an E-facing hillslope and surrounded by broad rig. This originally took the form of a series of strips edged with banks of linear clearance, or terraces bounded by stony lynchets dependent upon the degree of slope. Each strip or terrace was from 9 m to 16 m wide and contained 3 or 4 narrow ridges 2.5-4.0 m wide. Recent ploughing along these strips/terraces, whilst avoiding most of the linear clearance and lynchets has now destroyed the narrow rig; this ploughing also affected the broad rig [NT 9817/45] and this now is barely discernible. (5a)
The main concentration, 'Old Walls' (NT 9853 1759), comprises 15 rectangular steadings and garths marked by turf-covered wall footings. The whole is set in, and clearly associated with, a widespread pattern of medieval or later cultivation terraces, rig and furrow, fragmentary field walls and stone clearance heaps. Probably a deserted medieval (or even later) village and apparently of some consquence, though not noted in the manorial histories of Ingram (NCH Vol 14).
Part correctly published in OS 6 inch 1957; part resurveyed at 6 inch, with sketch survey at 25 inch. (1)
No change to report of 11.11.69. Surveyed at 1:10,000. (2)
Hartside was a dependent hamlet of Ingram manor; held by Gilbert de Umfraville in 1284. In 1340 ten messuages, a mill, 100 acres of arable and 10 acres of meadow sold to John Heron.
Little known of Hartside in later medieval period. Shown on 1579 Saxton's map, on the north side of a southward curve of the River Breamish. Belonged to the Collingwood's in early 17th century.
Cluster of stone houses and garths at NT 986176 with extensive ridge and furrow to the south. The houses measure c.12m-15m by 4m-5m with garths c.17m wide by 25m long. Possible corn drying kiln at east end of village. Ridge and furrow delimited by a bank on the north edge. Some rig very broad (12m-14m). Possible post-medieval structures to the north at NT 986 176. (3)
Settlement visible on infra-red imagery. (4)
This record pertains to the concentration of buildings centred at NT 985 176, identified as Hartside medieval village, together with an associated field system. The deserted medieval village, situated at about 275 m OD, on a gentle SE-facing slope, comprises the turf and bracken-covered footings of 13 buildings with associated garths [NT 9817/28-40], and a corn-drying kiln [NT 9817/41]. The greater part of the village is a close, homogeneous linear group occupying the northern extremity of an extensive area of ridge and furrow [NT 9817/42-49] which is partially enclosed by a head dyke on the W and NW, and defined by a stream on its E side. The S boundary of the ridge and furrow connected specifically with Hartside village is indeterminate; rig extends S to Greensidehill Burn, but this may be related to the medieval village [NT 9916/1-11] at the confluence of Greensidehill Burn and Knock Burn. Within the area of sheet NT 9817 the ridge and furrow occupies 25 hectares (61.8 acres). The village lies within the head dyke [NT 9817/50-51] described above with the exception of house and garth [NT 9817/40], which is distinctly separate and some 30 m W of the main group and about 20 m NW of the head dyke. The houses are constructed of stone and faced at ground level with boulders inside and out, but the collapse of the walls and subsequent overgrowth of turf and bracken has reduced them to banks on average 0.4 m high and spread to between 1.2 m and 1.6 m wide. Their internal dimensions are as follows:
NT 9817/28 measures 11.0 m by 3.9 m and is divided into three compartments. There are opposing entrances through the N and S side walls into the central room and internal passages from the central to each side-room.
House NT 9817/29 is 12.6 m by 3.7 m with one large room and small W ante-chamber. A number of inner and outer facing stones are exposed indicating a wall width of about 1.0 m at ground level; the wall
incorporates a large boulder 0.8 m high.
No NT 9817/30 is somewhat complicated and at least of two phases. It comprises a rectangular building apparently with rounded ends, 8.0 m by 3.7 m, which overlays one or possibly two earlier buildings. No entrance can be identified but at the logical position in the S wall there is a pile of stones. Of the earlier building(s), each is entered through the S wall, and the eastern example appears to have had at least two rooms.
House NT 9817/31 is in poor condition with few building stones visible; it measures 12.6 m by 3.8 m and consists of a single room with a small W ante-chamber. Much of the W end of the S wall is vague and no entrance can be identified.
NT 9817/32 , also in a poor state of preservation, is 9.0 m long by 3.6 m; no entrance can be seen.
NT 9817/33 is a single-roomed building with a rounded N end-wall and measures 11.4 m by 3.8 m. The E wall is barely visible but there is a clear entrance through the W wall.
House NT 9817/34 comprises two rooms with an interconnecting passage, the larger eastern ompartment being entered through the S wall. The E part is further subdivided by a rectangular chamber, a feature of uncertain purpose unique in this village. The house measures 22.5 m
by 3.7 m.
NT 9817/35 is a single-roomed building with a S entrance measuring 8.1 m by 3.7 m. Both wall faces are visible intermittently giving a wall width of 1.0 m-1.1 m at ground level.
NT 9817/36 and 37 are similar in their construction being more massively and better built than the other houses in the village. The corners are distinctly square where visible, and where the boulder facings up to 0.55 m high are exposed they appear straight and true. 36 is 12.0 m by 4.6 m with three interconnected rooms, the most easterly being entered through the S wall. 37 is 19.0 m by 3.9 m, single-roomed and with a S entrance.
House NT 9817/38 comprises a single room, 11.3 m by 3.9 m with a S entrance. the E and W end walls are spread to a thickness of 2.5 m.
NT 9817/39 measures 13.0 m by 3.2 m with both E and W end walls rounded. It is single-roomed with a S entrance. The N wall is higher and more stony than the S, and it seems possible that the head
dyke [NT 9815/51] which runs to this house overlies the N wall.
NT 9817/40, the more isolated example N of the head-dyke [NT 9817/50] measures 17.4 m by 3.6. It contains two rooms; there are gaps, probably entrances, into each of the rooms from the NW side giving access into the adjoining enclosure, and a further gap into the larger E chamber from the SE, but the better preserved and most obvious entrance is through the NE end wall. The adjoining enclosure
to the NW is curvilinear rather than rectilinear and measures 58.0 m NE-SW by 46.0 m transversely.
The corn-drying kiln [NT 9817/41] at the eastern edge of the village abuts the head-dyke [NT 9817/51]. The kiln itself is 0.6 m deep but somewhat silted; where it is exposed it measures 2.6 m in diameter.
The position of the stoke hole can be identified as a lowering in the kiln wall on the W side leading into a square annexe 2.4 m across with a S entrance. The disposition of these houses suggests that a village street extended from the vicinity of the kiln SW to pass NW of NT 9817/31 and SE of NT 9817/29; all dwellings except 31 being to the N of this conjectured street. Immediately S of house NT 9817/38 is a modern sheep-fold which overlies an oval structure (see NT 9817/52). The head-dykes [NT 9817/50 and 51] are similar, being turf and bracken-covered banks spread to 2.0 m wide and 0.6 m maximum height, and contain numerous large boulders in their fabric. Where the former runs alongside a drain its profile has been accentuated by the addition of spoil from the recutting of the drain. The ridge and furrow occupies a greater part of the usable land within the area bounded by the head-dykes, the only major exception being the rig centred NT 984171 where there is evidence of earlier, probably prehistoric land use (see NT 9817/65). The medieval field system takes the form of blocks of broad rig generally demarcated by natural barriers such as old stream beds. The rig is curvilinear from about 5 m to 12 m wide. Some clearance of stone has occurred within it, either linear clearance into the furrows or stone heaps up to 5.0 m in diameter and 0.5 m high, scattered through the system. (However, some of these clearance cairns may be prehistoric in origin.) To the S of broad rig area NT 9817/43 is a field bank of stones, 1.5 m wide and 0.3 m high.
The exception to the general rule of broad ridge-and-furrow is a block of later narrow rig [NT 9817/46] occupying 3 hectares of an E-facing hillslope and surrounded by broad rig. This originally took the form of a series of strips edged with banks of linear clearance, or terraces bounded by stony lynchets dependent upon the degree of slope. Each strip or terrace was from 9 m to 16 m wide and contained 3 or 4 narrow ridges 2.5-4.0 m wide. Recent ploughing along these strips/terraces, whilst avoiding most of the linear clearance and lynchets has now destroyed the narrow rig; this ploughing also affected the broad rig [NT 9817/45] and this now is barely discernible. (5a)
N1269
FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT), Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigation 1969; R W Emsley
FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT), Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigation 1976; B H Pritchard
INFRARED LINE SCAN AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY, Infra Red Line Scan Photographic survey 1994; RAF
MEASURED SURVEY, RCHME: SE Cheviots Project ; RCHME
HISTORIC AREA ASSESSMENT, Ingram Village Atlas (HISTORIC BERWICK VILLAGE ATLAS) ; The Archaeological Practice Ltd
FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT), Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigation 1976; B H Pritchard
INFRARED LINE SCAN AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY, Infra Red Line Scan Photographic survey 1994; RAF
MEASURED SURVEY, RCHME: SE Cheviots Project ; RCHME
HISTORIC AREA ASSESSMENT, Ingram Village Atlas (HISTORIC BERWICK VILLAGE ATLAS) ; The Archaeological Practice Ltd
Disclaimer -
Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.